Bacon Wrapped Backstrap with Baked Asparagus
1 lb of backstrap
1-2 pkgs thick bacon
8 oz whipped cream cheese
1 jalapeno diced
2 chives diced
4 tbsp olive oil
BACKSTRAP COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat smoker to 350 degrees using your favorite pellets (we used Green Mountain Grill Fruitwood pellets)
- Prepare the stuffing by combining cream cheese, jalapeno and chives in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare the backstrap by removing any excess silver skin. Then, cut a slit lengthwise down the center of the meat, butterflying the meat just past center.
- Stuff the cream cheese mixture inside the cut.
- Lay the bacon out on a flat surface so that the sides are touching. This will be roughly the length of the backstrap.
- Place the backstrap in the center of the bacon and close the sides. Then, wrap the bacon around the backstrap.
- Place the backstrap wrapped in bacon on the smoker and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Check the internal temperature.
- If it needs more time, lower the temperature to 250 degrees for another 30-45 minutes. Checking occasionally. Internal temperature should be 130 degrees for medium rare. Allow the backstrap to sit for 10 minutes after you remove it from the smoker.
ASPARAGUS COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while the backstrap is smoking
- Lay the asparagus out flat on a sheet of tin foil on a cookie sheet. Lightly season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook the asparagus in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The asparagus will be browned on the tips when done.